Principal, Sydney | BSc(Elec Eng), BProc
+61 2 8267 3907
Follow me on LinkedIn
John is a registered patent attorney in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. He has extensive international experience in the drafting and prosecution of patent and design applications, as well as in most other aspects of patent law.
John provides strategic advice on building and managing patent portfolios, and on creating readily enforceable patent rights for a broad base of local and foreign multinational clients. John also has a busy oppositions practice and works closely with the Herbert Smith Freehills IP Litigation team in cases for large multinational clients.
John has a strong technical background in electrical and electronic engineering, as well as mechanical engineering, and supports clients in technical areas such as:
- Mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets and related GUI and touchscreen technology
- Photonics, optical components and fibre optic networks
- DSP applications including sound and image processing technology
- Software, internet and business process related patent applications in various technical areas, including digital rights management
- Clean energy, including concentrated solar power
- Electric motors and generators
- Quantum computing
- Autonomous vehicle technology
John also has dealt with many power electronics inventions, electronic identification and tracking systems and associated transponders, telecommunications networks, electronic detonators, electronic control and detection systems and MEMS devices. He has patented and advised on many different types of medical devices and systems, including medical/cochlear implants, diagnostic equipment and intravenous devices, such as IV catheters.
John has successfully opposed and defended patent applications in opposition proceedings before the Australian Patent Office, including in the areas of financial transaction systems, process engineering, and gaming systems and platforms.
John qualified as a solicitor and patent attorney in 1990 at a boutique firm in South Africa, where he was involved in the drafting and prosecution of local and foreign patent applications, opinion work, IP strategy advice and patent litigation. He joined FPA Patent Attorneys in 2001 as a lateral in 2001.
John has lectured specification drafting for the Masters of IP course at the University of Technology in Sydney.
Areas of expertise
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Manufacturing
- Information and Communication Technology
- Analytical Instrumentation
- Consumer Products and Design
- Clean Energy
- Software Patents
- Medical Devices
- Bachelor of Science (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), University of Cape Town
- Baccalaureus Procurationis, University of South Africa
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia, New Zealand and South Africa)
- Fellow: Institute of Patent Attorneys of Australia
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association
- Intellectual Property Society Australia and New Zealand (former Vice-President)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- FPA Patent Attorneys awarded Managing Intellectual Property Australian Patent Prosecution Firm of the Year 2019
- FPA Patent Attorneys was ranked Tier 1 for Patent Prosecution by the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook 2017, 2018 and 2019
- John was named as a Managing Intellectual Property IP Star
in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015
- Intellectual Asset Management’s 2017, 2018 and 2019 editions of the IAM Patent 1000 – the World’s Leading Patent Professionals awarded FPA Patent Attorneys the highest category of “Highly Recommended” for Patent Prosecution
- In 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, John has been included in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide - the World's Leading Patent Professionals as a Leading Patent Practitioner. He was referred to as a "Senior figure" who "Soars above the competition" in his electrical engineering niche, earning him international acclaim." The 2017 edition stated that John "Drafts with precision and dispenses salient pre-litigation advice." In 2018, John is referred to as the person to call for "Those with an electronic or mechanical engineering brief" and this year's guide acknowledges he is a "Tenacious operator" and a "Diligent portfolio manager"
- John has been listed in The Best Lawyers® in Australia for Intellectual Property Law since 2015