Principal, Melbourne | BBiotech(Hons), PhD, MIP Law
Direct +61 3 8662 7302
Adam is a registered Australian and New Zealand patent attorney. He specialises in the drafting and prosecution of global patent families related to the biotechnology and pharmaceutical fields.
Adam is highly regarded for his ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships with his clients. He works closely with companies and researchers to capture their commercially valuable IP. He specialises in building complex patent portfolios that are attractive to investors and which are prepared for the rigours of prosecution and enforcement.
Adam provides relevant commercial advice resulting from a deep understanding of his clients’ inventions and business goals. He regularly works with investors to conduct due diligence work on patent families and provides clear, commercial advice on any risks identified.
In addition he also provides strategic advice to his clients regarding the enforcement and defence of patent rights. Adam regularly leads oppositions before the Australian Patent Office.
Before joining FPA Patent Attorneys, Adam spent nearly three years as a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, United States of America. His research here involved protein and lipid kinases in cell transformation and identifying small molecules as potential lead compound for cancer therapeutics.
Adam regularly writes articles on the interface between biotechnology and patent law particularly in the areas of therapeutic antibodies, diagnostics, isolated nucleic acids and biomarkers.
Adam has authored 14 peer reviewed articles and reviews in journals such as Molecular and Cellular Biology, The EMBO Journal and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. Articles can be viewed at the US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, (PubMed).
Areas of expertise
• Molecular and Cell Biology
• Cancer Genetics
• Immunotherapy (particularly cancer immunotherapy)
• Protein Therapeutics (particularly antibodies)
• Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons), Flinders University of South Australia
• PhD (Biochemistry), University of Adelaide
• Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
• Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
• Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
• Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
• Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology