Freehills Patent Attorneys is pleased to announce that seven of its Partners have been named in the Best Lawyers® in Australia publication for 2016. Each of the five partners who were listed in 2015, namely Managing Partner James Cherry, Brett Connor, John Dower, Greg Noonan and Damian Slizys have been listed again this year, and two others have joined them – Carl Harrap and Thor North.
Our partners have been recognised in the following categories:
Intellectual Property Law
“It is an honour to have seven of our partners recognised in this prestigious global listing” said Mr Cherry, who specialises in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and medical treatment patents. “Freehills Patent Attorneys provide expert professional and strategic advice to clients from the inception of an idea to the commercialisation and protection of it around the globe. It is particularly pleasing that our expertise in IT and engineering has been recognised as well as the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors.”
“Each employee at Freehills Patent Attorneys has contributed to these awards as they work together with the partners to understand the different business environments in which our clients operate and their individual needs. Our association with a global corporate law firm, Herbert Smith Freehills, enables us to offer boutique-style patent services with the certainty of large commercial firm resources.”
• James Cherry is the Managing Partner at Freehills Patent Attorneys. He specialises in patents for the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors, as well as advising on the related areas of confidential information and trade secrets, technology transfer and Plant Breeder’s Rights. James advises on strategic creation, management and exploitation of intellectual property rights worldwide.
• Brett Connor works with some of Australia’s largest companies and research organisations, as well as multinational corporations and has experience as an in-house patent counsel, bringing a unique perspective to large scale strategic IP portfolio management.
• John Dower has an exceptional technical background in electrical and electronic engineering, and is particularly experienced in the areas of ICT, fintech and medical devices.
• Carl Harrap applies his engineering expertise to various fields, including communications, electronics, electrical and electromechanical devices, fintech, control systems, medical devices and software. In addition to providing strategic patent and design advice to clients, he also conducts oppositions before the Australian Patents Office and assists clients in patent litigation.
• Greg Noonan has a background in physics and specialises in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications. He works particularly in the areas of medical devices, industrial and engineering technologies.
• Thor North has extensive experience advising clients in a wide range of physics and computer related technologies. He acts for both local and offshore clients and provides technical and commercially focussed advice on all aspects of patents and design protection.
• Damian Slizys practices primarily in the fields of chemistry and pharmaceuticals, and is especially experienced in jurisdictions in the Asia-Pacific region including India and China.
The complete list of Australia’s Best Lawyers 2016 was published in the Australian Financial Review on 26 February 2016. Freehills Patent Attorneys is a firm of registered patent attorneys in Australia and is associated with Herbert Smith Freehills, lawyers.