Principal, Melbourne | BSc(Hons), PhD, Grad Dip IP Law
+61 3 8662 7356
Follow me on LinkedIn
Tom is a registered patent attorney, specialising in advising Australian biotechnology and chemical clients on their US, European and Asian patent matters. He also represents several large European and US corporations in these sectors in Australia and New Zealand.
Tom has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property matters, including:
- Patent Drafting and Filing
- Novelty and Patent Landscape Searching
- Freedom to Operate and Clearance Searching
- Infringement and Validity Advices
- Australian and New Zealand Patent Prosecution
- Opposition and Litigation
- Patent Due Diligence
Tom is highly regarded for the commercial approach that he brings to client matters, and is known for his expertise in assisting Australian companies on the global stage, and cost-effectively managing the patent portfolios of multinational companies in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia.
Areas of expertise
- Medical Devices
- Food and Fermentation Technology
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Plant Technology and Plant Varieties
- Bachelor of Science (Honours), University of Melbourne
- PhD (Medicine), University of Melbourne
- Graduate Diploma in IP Law, University of Technology Sydney
- FPA Patent Attorneys was ranked Tier 1 for Patent Prosecution by the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook 2017 and 2018.
- Tom was named as a Managing Intellectual Property IP Star in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014.
- Intellectual Asset Management’s 2017 and 2018 editions of the IAM Patent 1000 – the World’s Leading Patent Professionals awarded FPA Patent Attorneys the highest category of “Highly Recommended” for Patent Prosecution.
- From 2012 to 2018, Tom has been listed in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide – the World’s Leading Patent Professionals as a Leading Patent Practitioner. The 2012 edition stated that "Pharmaceuticals and biotechnology authority Tom Gumley is a real pleasure to work with. He is commercial, yet understands the science extremely well." The next year Tom was referred to as a practitioner who “Truly stands out from the crowd” in the biotechnology field and was feted for his "Terrific biotechnology prosecution." He has also been acknowledge for "Assisting the University of Sydney with key local and global projects on the biotechnology side." In 2017, Tom was described as an "Extremely experienced" practitioner who has a "Fine-tuned knowledge of patent and pharmaceutical law" and who "Always goes the extra mile with his work." In this year's guide, Tom is described as "A safe pair of hand for life sciences applications."
- FPA Patent Attorneys Chemistry and Biotechnology practice was awarded the 2015 AI Intellectual Property Award as: Best for Biotechnology IP Matters - Australia.